Wednesday, July 12, 2006

My Coworkers are Sneaky

John and I have a lunch date every Wednesday. This allows us to spend a little more time together during the week and it gives John a break from sack lunches and overpriced cafeteria chicken fingers. We rotate between three restaurants: Fellinis, Eats, and Moes (with a heavy emphasis on Moes).

The baby and I were in the mood for burritos today, and what the baby wants the baby gets. (You don’t mess with someone who has such easy access to important organs and bodily functions). As we pulled into the parking lot, I noticed the cars of a couple of coworkers. This should have clued me in to the coming surprise, but I just considered it a coincidence and expected to find Jane and Sabrina picking up lunch together. Instead, I walked in and found every member of the Genex Atlanta office sitting at a big table with a mound of gifts in the center and yelling, “Surprise!”

Even more touching than the amazing gifts (the Graco Metrolite Travel System and Velboa Snuzzler, pictured, and a Sony baby monitor) was the amount of effort that went into pulling off the surprise. It turns out that John was in on it from the start, subtly manipulating me into showing up at the right place and right time through a fake post-lunch meeting and even a sudden urge for Eats the previous week. In the meantime, everyone in my office made a mad dash for Moes just minutes after I left to pick up John, which is especially impressive since it normally takes a full hour to organize the group and get them moving for a lunch outing.

Thanks for the wonderful surprise, Genexers – this totally makes up for all the fat jokes.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home