Thursday, June 29, 2006

These are Days

In her candid (read: crazy) interview with Matt Lauer last week, a six-month pregnant Britney Spears described herself as an “emotional wreck.” At last, Britney and I have something in common. Still, despite the fact that she has millions of dollars, a full-time nanny, and an unlimited supply of chewing gum and Cheetos, I can’t help but think that I’m in a better situation. First off, I don’t have paparazzi and national television chronicling and commenting on every unflattering moment of my pregnancy. Even more important, I am married to John and not Kevin Federline. While Kevin has shown a talent for impregnating every woman he spends more than a week with, I can’t imagine that he’s as supportive and nurturing as Britney would like us to believe. I can almost picture him attempting to coax Britney out of an emotional funk with a stirring rendition of his single, PoPoZao.

John, on the other hand, has more subtle ways of cheering me up. On our ride to work yesterday morning the 10,000 Maniacs song “These are Days” came on the radio. We have both had this song on our iPods for some time now, but John informed me that it has recently become one of his favorites. I didn’t really catch on until he asked me what I thought the song was about and I carefully listened to the lyrics:

These are days you’ll remember
Never before and never since, I promise
Will the whole world be warm as this
And as you feel it,
You’ll know it’s true
That you are blessed and lucky
It’s true – that you
Are touched by something
That will grow and bloom in you


For the second time in as many days I was in tears, but this time out of sheer gratitude for the amazing man that is my husband and the baby girl that we have made together. We are, indeed, blessed and lucky.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home