Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Welcome to the SEC, beyotch

Lana has spent countless hours watching football with her dad. She’s become a real fan of the game, so much so that she actually squealed with delight when the BCS National Championship Game came on last night. John explained to her the importance of this particular game, and how for one night only we would root for the Florida Gators to win so the SEC could get a little respect. After Ohio State returned the first kickoff for a touchdown, I explained to her that Nathan, the nice man and Gator fanatic who came to visit her a few weeks ago, might very well be passed out in the stands.

Needless to say, we were all very pleased with the outcome of the game (sorry Kelly and Dave). About the only thing I saw from Ohio State that impressed me was their band, who really rocked out the spelling of Ohio on the field. I'm used to more subdued halftime performances by the Georgia band. The most halftime excitement I can recall from my days as a student is when one impossibly loud fan yelled, “Our nerds are better than your nerds!” as the Georgia marching band followed Auburn’s band onto the field. The student section got a good laugh out of that, partially because it was funny and mostly because the majority of the student section was drunk, drunk, drunk.

All of which brings me to my cousin’s husband, Mike. I heard last night that he is upset to have not yet made it into my blog. This is a good segue for doing so, because Mike is a band nerd (not a drunk). He's a nice guy, a good father, and a total band nerd. I can call Mike a band nerd because he’s family, because he's made a good living from music, because it’s something I can say that will make him regret complaining about not being in my blog without jeopardizing his future political career, and because I was also a band nerd. In fact, I actually lacked the musical talent to make it as a band nerd so I stood in the back of the field waving a flag around. That’s where the girls who couldn’t play an instrument, throw a baton, or dance like a skank (and I mean you, cheerleaders and drill team) went. To the back of the field, waving a flag that announces, “I surrender, I’m a dork.”
So Mike, you’ve been featured in the blog now. Careful what you wish for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home