Friday, December 29, 2006

Four Month Update

Dear Lana,

We are having some fun now! That’s a song from Little Shop of Horrors and a fitting description of your fourth month. Your love of music continues to grow, so I had the good sense to TiVo the aforementioned musical and play it over and over for you this month. It was a favorite of mine as a kid, and you seem to really enjoy it, too. It’s got a lot of fun, catchy music, not to mention domestic abuse, masochism, murder, those girls from Martin in kicky little costumes, and a blood-sucking plant. Something for everyone!

The other soundtrack to our lives this month is your rapidly expanding repertoire of noises. You’ve introduced us to a new sound each week this month – from a crackling noise that can be best described as cell phone static to a sustained string of oohs, ahhs, and oops. Your father coaxed the first authentic giggle from you while kissing your belly, and it was without a doubt the sweetest sound I’ve ever heard. It was also a nice contrast to the screeching noise you make more and more frequently now – a sound that I fully expect to draw a herd of amorous felines to your nursery window.

Another major development this month is your increasing hand dexterity. At the beginning of the month, you used your hands to examine the details of your wardrobe. You would flip up the bib you were wearing and stare closely at the pattern, becoming hopelessly cross eyed in the process. You also began grabbing the clothing I selected for you each morning and stuffing it into your mouth. It’s actually an interesting approach to dressing, and one that I have decided to give a shot. I’m still in my pajamas as I write this because I haven’t found an outfit that tastes quite right.

You’ve moved from clothing to toys and teethers over the past couple weeks, and you’ll lie on the floor and play contentedly for long stretches of time. Rico often sits at the edge of your blanket with a toy of his own, obviously coveting your collection of bright and squeaky toys but showing tremendous restraint. Yesterday you reached out and touched him for the first time, and the look of shock on his face told me that your relationship is not quite ready for physical contact. It looked like the end of an awkward date I had in high school – one where the guy designated me his soul mate because we both folded our fries before dipping them in ketchup. Hopefully Rico will be kinder than I was and give you another chance, and you will not start to drive back and forth past his house in your souped-up Camaro.

Thanks for a fun month, Lana Kat. I look forward to many more.

Love,
Mom

(Photos in this post are courtesy of Sabrina, a good friend and awesome photographer.)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home